Monday, December 26, 2011

Drummer Boy...

Dear Sisters,

Well now its Christmas evening and I'm finally sitting down to rest from a busy day. Our combined sacrament meeting with the other branch was amazing, then we had 40 Chinese guests over for snacks and a Christmas sing along. Great fun but I'm ready for a little break.

How was your day? Are you exhausted? Take a deep breath and relax, you deserve it.

Have you opened your gifts? Did you see the one that's possibly hiding? This is the best gift of all and it will never get used up or go out of style. The Savior of the world gave us this gift with his birth this day, and that is his atonement. Can you think of how to use this gift? Does it come with instructions? Have you ever received A gift but put it on a shelf or closet somewhere and never used it? Where do you find the instructions on how to use the atonement. (Scriptures tell us)

Since this is a day for exchanging gifts, what gift will you give him?

This holiday directs our focus to gift giving. In fact I think back on the time in my life that I have spent making gift lists, going shopping, wrapping gifts , then stressing and wondering if the receiver of the gift will be satisfied with my offering. Ive even had nightmares over it, sounds crazy right?

The drummer boy being very poor gave the only thing he could, a song. What is your song? What can you give the Savior this year?

Many times I’ve considered the drummer boy. From the song we know this boy had nothing to give, but he wanted to give something, something that was meaningful. I wondered if he feared that his gift wasn’t good enough, that it wouldn’t be received with the intention it was given? Lets take a look at the words to this song and see if we can learn from this little drummer boy.

Little Drummer Boy

Come they told me
Pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see,
Pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring
Pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King
Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum

So to honor Him
Pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby
Pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too,
Pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring
Pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give our King
Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Shall I play for you!
Pa rum pum pum
On my drum
.

Mary nodded
Pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time
Pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him
Pa rum pum pum
I played my best for Him
Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Then He smiled at me
Pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

So, this leads me to the important question and that is, What gift can we give the Savior?. As far as I know, none of us are drummers. So what is our best that we can give him?

Sisters I encourage you to make it a matter of prayer to consider what gift you are offering to the Savior this year. Maybe it is more of your time in scripture study, or service to your neighbors. Maybe it is more time devoted to husband and children in an expression of gratitude for having a sweet family. Maybe it is giving up a bad habit, or coveting, or others things that steal our peace away. How do you think the Drummer boy felt as he offered his gift. The song tells that the baby Jesus smiled at him. Can you begin to imagine how peaceful that must have been. We all could use a little peace right now couldn’t we? So I encourage you to close your eyes, put yourself in the shoes of the drummer boy. Imagine yourself at the feet of beautiful baby in the manger and decide what gift you will bring to Him. He LOVES you, more than you can even imagine, and is so pleased to receive the gift that you have to offer.

Sisters, the Lord has revealed to me that you are amazing women. He has entrusted you with amazing gifts and talents and so much to offer the Savior and also those around you. You have been blessed to be here at this time and giving yourself to this experience in China is gift to all of your associates. Do not take this point lightly, You are a gift and a blessing. Take that gift today and challenge your self to share it with those around you and in turn, you will be just like the drummer boy. That will be your offering.
I feel so blessed today and I bear testimony that Jesus Christ was born, died and rose again so that He made it possible to atone for our sins. This is His gift to us. Search for yourself and find out how this can work in your life, and bring you closer to Him.

Please know that I can't even put into words my love for you and desire for you to feel His peace today, and to know beyond a shadow of a doubt how much He loves you.

Merry Christmas my dearest friends,

Monique Larkin
(Pa rum pum pum pum, Rum pum pum pum, Rum pum pum pum)

No comments:

Post a Comment