Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Meet Von Sison...

I can’t remember if I’ve told you about Von Sison, but I’d like you to “meet” him.

Von is a member of the church from the Philippines working here in Shanghai. He lives in a factory down the street from us in rural Pudong. His factory makes plastic lids for drink cups for McDonalds and KFC. He helps make sure the machinery is properly maintained. He earns the equivalent of $500 US per month, although his dorm housing and cafeteria meals are all paid for by the factory. He is very grateful for the “good-paying” job, even though it takes him away from his family in the Philippines.

Von is a very humble man – humble in the best way possible. Kind, happy, positive, and friendly. Sees only the good in people and situations. He is in his mid-30’s and got married shortly before coming to China. His wife was pregnant with their first child when he left to come here. She gave birth since then and Von has yet to meet his (now) 8 month old baby. If you do the math you’ll realize that Von has not seen his wife in over a year. He will leave to go to the Philippines in 20 days to see his wife and meet his baby. He is excited.

I home teach Von and have the privilege of traveling to church with him each Sunday morning. Often Monique has early meetings, so he and I catch a separate cab together. It is a very special time to enjoy early Sunday morning with this great person as we make our way to Church. He wrote me this sweet message today (see below) and I just felt I had to share it. You will note from his message that English is not his first language (although admittedly his spoken English is much better than his written English – grin)

Von cannot afford a white shirt and tie, and dummy me didn’t even realize it. On the way to church last week he said he looked forward to the day that he could afford a white shirt so he could go to church properly dressed. “Fortunately” I’ve put on some weight and had a white shirt that no longer fit me. I was honored to give it to him. He told me this was a meaningful blessing to him. How many of us would count being able to wear a white shirt to church as “a meaningful blessing”? We probably don’t even think twice about it. When he references the “polo” shirt below, that is what he’s talking about. When he talks about my “companion” he’s talking about Monique.

I sometimes forget how AMAZINGLY blessed we are. When I say “we” I’m mostly thinking of Monique and me. I’m humbled to consider this great man who really has very little, but remains happy and upbeat – and I feel like it is ME who is blessed to share his acquaintance. Much more valuable to me than my white shirt.
 ********
Jay good evening,

I was looking for you and your wife monique after church meeting again that i want to thank you for this polo shirt ,this morning after church meeting i meet former missionary from salt lake city he was assigned in philippine cagayan de oro mission,he speaks our own dialect ,he just visit for business
- software i think. jay thank you again for polo shirt and for pick me up during sunday.

i'm just thinking of companionship. i'm thinking of my wife together soon and just 20 more days to be with her and my daughter.,it is said that you should never leave your companion ,i'm thinking of going to church on sunday when you pick me up and leave your companion alone, i worry I take some special moment together with her away from you. maybe we have to create different approach of having family home evening or scripture study in your home instead so you wont be apart from her because me. i know jay you are very busy man but still have time for me i really value your time spend with me but your companion need you much more. The gospel which is in me thought me to develop my relation to god, although i sometimes make mistake but the commandment of god made me a better man .

Thanks a lot jay may god always bless you and your wife .
von

No comments:

Post a Comment